How to Deal/meliorate English Section
How to Deal/meliorate English Section:-
Hello Folks ,
Firstly there’s no short cuts for improving English. You can only improve English gradually i.e. step by step, but not in a week or month.
To meliorate your English, first thing which you need to do is changing your lifestyle and attitude towards the language. The first thing to improve English for people who are weak in it, is to attempt easy and selective questions only, and always attempt at least 80% questions to clear the cut off just in case u get a lot of wrong attempts. People who have a good accuracy in English may even attempt just 25/50 questions. As cut offs in English is never above 25 in any exam. Do intelligent guessing- eliminate 2, 3 options first and then u have the probability of getting the answer correct very high.
So first which questions to attempt and what to leave?
Always leave 10 questions of passage as they consume hell lots of time. Attempt only synonym and antonym part. Attempt around 40 questions and get around 25 correct u will definitely clear cut off.
(But if u have time attempt all questions as now a days English marks are also added like in SBI, BOB etc.)
Section wise you can do following-:
- Reading Comprehension, here you can easily get 5-6 correct at least in worst case. If your vocabulary is weak then do not attempt questions on most similar and most opposite till the time you are not sure of the answer.
- Cloze test is the solid part in English. A cloze test is a passage with missing words given as blanks. You must do most of them except the ones which you don’t know.
- In the middle of the paper you will find questions on sentence improvement and error detection in sentences. You must do them.
- Just solve English paper in 20 min so that you can give time to other sections and mind you can easily solve 40 questions in 20 min.
How to prepare:
1) English Newspaper: Read good news articles from the newspaper and trust me every day you will find at least 10-15 new words. Even if you don’t get time just read the editorial and mark the difficult words. Now don’t learn their meanings simply refer to their meaning from the dictionary. So that next time when you come across the same word you should be able to recall it and this way it will become permanent in your mind.
2) Newspaper- part: Whenever you read the newspaper or any other English text read carefully looking at the usage of nouns, adjectives prepositions, verbs and most important subject verb agreement. You should be able to identify the parts of speech. Even if you don’t know the grammar of a language if you will keep on reading it over a period of time you are bound to improve upon your knowledge about distinguishing between correct and incorrect grammar usage since you had spent so much of time reading it.
3) Write a news diary (or personal diary in English): Another daily writing task that can work for people who would be bored by writing about their own routines in a diary is to write about the news that you read and listen to everyday. If you include your predictions for how you think the story will develop (e.g. “I think Rahul will become president”), this can give you a good reason to read old entries another time, at which time you can also correct and mistakes you have made and generally improve what you have written.
4) Online chat: the closest thing to speaking for people who don’t have the chance to speak English is online chat, as you have to think and respond quickly, and the language is short and informal just like speech.
5). Grammar: I would like to suggest you to only go through the basics of nouns, verbs, adjectives, tenses, articles, passage, punctuation, subject verb agreement, sentences and phrases.
Please do not go into the depth of grammar as it will only discombobulate you, MORE AND MORE. Most of the people who qualify in English are not really good in grammar but they are used to the language. So you need to change your attitude by using English throughout in place of your native language at least till the time you don’t get the command over English.
6) Get in touch with someone who is good in English, discuss your weaknesses and start practicing spoken English with him/her. Write various types of letters Formal and Informal, Essays on arbitrary topics, precis on news articles. See if u will actually practice all this then success is bound to come. But you need patience, Speak on a topic for 3 minutes every day all these have to rehearsed on a daily basis to get results in at least 3 months’ time.
7) Ill share with you an anecdote on English: There were 2 friends who did not know English. They decided that they will learn English. Every day they used to meet at the bus stop to go to college which was a journey of 1 hr. Both them took pledge that throughout their to-fro journey they will always speak in English. When they started the other people laughed and giggled at them since they used to speak in broken English. But both were strongly determined and continued. After about six months the same passengers realized that they were wrong as slowly and slowly their English started showing improvement.
So, dear friends the way u work hard for Reasoning or QA same ways work hard for English and don’t give up.
8) Go for objective English by Thorpe and Thorpe. it’s a very good book for competitive English
9) Always solve as many English sets as possible with time check. The more you solve them the more closer you get to your success.
How to attempt English section in exam:
I would suggest you to first attempt synonym-antonym part in RC, read the line where word is mentioned and mark the answer. Then you can attempt direct questions from RC if you want or you can skip all the questions except synonym and antonym. In mains exams we have time, so I would suggest you to read one passage, there will be two, read easier one. If you are not confident then skip question which have options like: 1, 2 correct, 123 correct, all correct, none correct. As answering these questions require you to read complete comprehension and if you miss something while reading then there are chances that you will make some mistakes.
Target cloze test, fillers, sentence improvement and make sure you are not committing mistakes in these parts. In cloze test quickly read whole paragraph once and try to understand then tone and subject of paragraph. In fillers always check for second blank first. Attempt sentence –rearrangement, if you are not sure, then also you can mark first and last sentence. For Error detection part, mark only if you are sure, 2-3/5 in this part will still be a good score.
Cloze Test Grammar Tips
To find out the missing words in the remaining gaps, find out which among the following part of speech will fill in the gap: articles, nouns, pronouns, adverbs, prepositions, adjectives, conjunctions or verbs.
POINTS TO BE IN MIND WHILE ATTEMPTING PARA JUMBLE:
Considering IBPS/ SBI PRE and time allotted for exam it is very necessary to solve Para jumble to scoring in English.
Paragraph jumbles, or as they are fondly called, Para jumbles, are sets of connected statements in some random order, which when unjumbled, create a meaningful paragraph and these are very common is mostly competitive examinations.
- Do not invest more time on these Para jumble once u stuck anywhere so you can confuse.
- Don’t make sequence whit your rhyming flow, think logically.
Lastly I would like to tell you friend it’s all a mind game when you loose you loose from your mind and when you win you win from the mind only so think positive and work hard. If you can do well in Reasoning, QA and GK then you can sure as shooting do well in English. Believe in yourself and work hard in continuity…Wish you best of Luck..
Hope this article is veritably practicable for you…
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.
keep memorizing keep beaming & keep heightening :))
-shared by Mental AB.